Cleaning the upholstery can be a little challenging as they need regular use in household work. However, this does not have to be the case if you have upholstery cleaning machine in your home for household cleaning.
It cleans upholstery and disinfects all kinds of sofas, cleaning large-format carpet ,cleaning carpets , chairs, washing mattresses at home.
Top Picks : 5 Best Upholstery Steam Cleaner
Guide for Buying Upholstery Cleaning Machine
An upholstery cleaner needs to be agile to help you clean the couch surface and also the back support without causing too much trouble when lifting and moving it from one spot to another. Although sometimes a durable appliance weighs a little more than a flimsy one, it is important to note that a heavy cleaner may not allow you to lift it to the desired position to help you reach certain dirty spots on your upholstery. On the other hand, a light appliance may prove to be too fragile and prone to breaking when accidentally knocked over, and it may have stability issues when using it to clean. Understanding this trade-off will help you make a more informed decision on your next choice of a cleaner for your upholstery.
Length of the brush handle
Attached to the main unit of an upholstery cleaner is usually an arm that has a brush that is used to scrub the surface of the upholstery fabric. Since cleaning a couch requires you to set the unit down and extending the brush arm ready for action, a short arm will make cleaning your couch a difficult process, an may ultimately require to clean while lifting the whole unit which is very tiring. A long arm is, therefore, better at providing you with that extra coverage to enable you to clean more comfortably without hurting your arms and back. Take note that a long cord may tangle and knot as you work, necessitating some more time to untangle the mess.
Since most upholstery cleaners use water to clean, they have water tanks built in the main unit to hold both clean waters for cleaning and suck in the dirty water after cleaning from the surface. The best cleaners have a smart method of water management, with separate tanks for dirty and clean water to avoid contamination. In addition to this, the water reservoirs need to be cleaned regularly, especially the one that holds the dirty water and debris collected during cleaning. Detachable water containers are most desirable, as you will have the ability to remove and wash them to your satisfaction.
Upholstery cleaners use either water or steam to conduct the cleaning. Steam-using cleaners prove more efficient in terms of sanitizing and removing germs and allergens from your couch through the natural cleansing characteristic of steam, while water-using cleaners have the advantage of being able to add cleaning solutions to improve the efficiency of the upholstery cleaner.
10 Upholstery Cleaner Reviews
1. Hoover spotless portable
This upholstery cleaner is light, making it highly portable and a delight to work with, even when conducting long cleaning sessions on your upholstery. It can effectively conduct deep cleaning to remove dirt, particles, and stains, as well as tackling the occasional mess on your upholstery material. The fitted wand can extend up to 5 feet longer to help get those remote areas more accessible for cleaning, whether on upholstery, stairs or carpets. This upholstery cleaner features a dual-tank technology, which separates dirty water from clean water as you clean your surfaces. Its powerful suction is amazing at helping remove grout and pet hair from your household with relative ease, and sports a self-cleaning hose, so you do not have to clean it manually. 15” tall, this upholstery cleaner is also compact enough to fit in most storage spaces.
- With a weight of less than 9 lbs and a height of only 15”, this upholstery cleaner is light and compact enough for most day to day cleaning needs.
- Its hose can extend up to 5 feet longer for a more thorough cleaning experience and tackling crevices, stairs, carpets, and remote areas effectively.
- The unit’s tank features a dual-tank technology for separating clean water from dirty water inside the appliance.
- Amazing suction ensures your surfaces are deep cleaned and all debris found removed, including stains, dried dirt, and pet hair.
- The hose is self-cleaning, and avoids getting your hands dirty while trying to remove stuck particles to get your cleaner working optimally.
- Its brush is made from rubber and is prone to leave colored markings on some surfaces, as well as little flakes of the rubber material on surfaces the cleaner is used on.
- The water dispenser may get clogged with time and stop spraying the cleaning solution being used to clean surfaces. Check clogging on the hose to attempt a fix.
2. Rug Doctor Portable
With this cleaner, you are assured of serious cleaning power as it features a motorized brush that is handheld spinning at a rate of 1200 oscillations a minute. As opposed to other models, it does not use steam and proves to be gentle and yet effective when cleaning your surface and making its finishing standout. It offers superior suction power to conduct deep cleaning on your surfaces and remove debris and dust successfully around your home, and cut short the time taken for the surface to dry completely. The fitted brush is motorized and scrubs surfaces during cleaning; only requiring you to move the arm along dirty surfaces. With easy rolling wheels and an extensible handle to easily pull the appliance along when cleaning and moving from one spot to another. The unit features a light, compact build and is slim enough to fit various spaces such as inside a car, a cabinet, or a closet. Its water tanks can be removed, with clean water being kept separate from dirty water.
- A motorized brush head powered by a strong motor rotating 1200 times a minute is highly effective at dislodging dirt and stains from your surface.
- The upholstery cleaner is fitted with easy rolling wheels that can move on the carpet and with an extending device handle make it easy to move the appliance along as you clean.
- Light and compact build make this cleaner desirable and efficient in cleaning other spaces such as inside cars, boats, RVs, and storing it is equally easy.
- With two removable water tanks, dirty water is never allowed to mix with clean water during cleaning with this model.
- The unit’s motor also powers suction that picks up dust and debris from surfaces and collects them inside the main unit for later disposal.
- With the brush head being exposed to a lot of pressure and vibration, one of the screws holding the motor brush in place may fall off with time.
- Replacement parts for this model that can be ordered do not include a spray nozzle.
3. Bissell Multipurpose Portable
Featuring a massive water reservoir with a capacity of 48 ounces, this upholstery cleaner holds enough water for cleaning an extended area without a refill. Its hose is also 4 feet long to give you that extra autonomy when cleaning surfaces. The body is durable and made from recycled plastic, with the water tanks and hose made from PVC-free material. With a strong suction and spray power, this cleaner performs an excellent task of removing dirt and dried stains from surfaces, as well as handling the occasional mess or spill quite deftly. The unit ships with an included brush attachment to help tackle tough stains and grout easily. The arm folds conveniently at the back of the unit for compact storage and portability.
- This upholstery cleaner offers more than enough water capacity for cleaning large areas, holding 48 ounces at a time.
- A durable body made from recycled plastic is coupled with water tanks and a hose made from PVC-free material.
- Powerful suction and a strong spray make for effective deep cleaning and pick up of debris from your upholstery.
- The unit’s arm folds conveniently at the back for secure storage in cabinets or closets and makes the appliance easy to transport to the area for cleaning.
- An included brush attachment is useful when tackling tough stains or dried on dirt.
- Practice caution when using to clean pet hair, as it may get trapped in the suction tool and inside the dirty water tank, making it hard to remove completely.
- The tank for storing dirty water cannot be detached in case you need to clean it further.
4. Hoover Spotless Deluxe Portable + CleanPlus 32oz
Highly portable, this cleaner makes cleaning upholstery and other surfaces easy, regardless of the location in your home. It is largely versatile, being able to clean stairs and carpets effectively and eliminating stains and debris. The fitted hose features a self-cleaning mechanism which removes stuck particles that may block the passage, saving you the effort to do it manually. This model offers offers a bundled cleaning and deodorizing solution that sweetens the deal on its current price. It performs a deep cleaning to remove embedded grime and dirt from surfaces, and proves worthy in removing pet hair too. The hose can extend up to 5 feet to make those remote areas more accessible for thorough cleaning. Its build is highly ergonomic, and the unit can be stored easily in most spaces.
- The bundled cleaning and deodorizing solution makes this model offering an attractive buy and saves you some cash on detergent.
- It can be used to effectively clean stairs, upholstery, and carpets too with relative ease, and perform a deep cleaning on such surfaces to remove grime, dirt and also pet hair.
- An extensible hose makes it possible to reach and clean remote areas around your home for thorough cleaning sessions, as well as having a self-cleaning mechanism.
- The unit’s body is compact and light, allowing for easy storage in available space around your home.
- The rubber material making part of the brush bottom flakes when used to scrub surfaces and may leave behind residue and color.
- Any leak might be disastrous to your surfaces. Make sure that the unit is completely sealed and not leaking upon reception from shipping.
5. Bissell Spotlifter Powerbrush
A handheld cleaner, you will be able to perform a deep cleaning on upholstery and other surfaces such as stairs and carpets efficiently. It features an 18” long power cord that gives you the freedom to clean a wider reach before the need to change power plugs sets in. The cleaning width provided by this appliance is 3,”, which means that it is easy to clean crevices and tight spaces using this cleaner. Being a dry upholstery cleaner, it has a dirt tank capacity of 12oz, and works by sucking in the dirt into the mentioned dirt container for later safe disposal after cleaning. It also features a motorized brush roll that is dual set for double the cleaning efficiency. The cartridge holding the brush in place can be easily removed and replaced for cleaning and continuous maintenance of the appliance. This cleaner also features a spray trigger that the user manually activates to spray water/cleaning solution on the spot for thorough stain removal.
- It features a long cord that provides a wide coverage when cleaning a large expanse without resorting to switching power plugs in between the cleaning session.
- The 3” cleaning width provided by the unit’s cleaning head makes it easy to clean remote corners and using the cleaner in tight spaces to completely remove dirt and stains from your upholstery.
- Its dirt container has a capacity of 12oz for storing the collected debris which can be safely disposed of after cleaning.
- The cleaning brush roll is dual set on the cartridge for more efficient dirt removal, with the whole cartridge being removable for separate cleaning and maintenance.
- A spray trigger is also present on the unit’s handle to enable the user to spray water or cleaning solution on the surface being cleaned for reinforced stain removal.
- This cleaner may not generate enough power to loosen and pick up dirt from carpet surfaces.
- The water reservoir may not be enough to clean a large area, and you may be forced to refill the tank in between your cleaning session.
6. Bissell 3624 SpotClean
A professional grade upholstery cleaner, tackle stains and messes from stairs and carpets too with this appliance easily without missing a beat. The fitted hose features a lovely flex mechanism to extend a few times longer and help clean on and under item sides quite comfortably. Shipping with the unit is specialized tools to make cleaning tough stains and stairs an easy task. Its power cord is 22” long, and provides sufficient coverage without the need to change power plugs frequently. The water reservoir holds ¾ gallons of water, which is more than enough for day to day cleaning with minimal trips for refilling the canister.
- An extensible 5” long hose with flex mechanism stretches in length to help you get under and on the side of objects and clean surfaces completely.
- The cleaner features specialized tools to clean stairs and rugs more deftly, apart from being specifically modeled for upholstery.
- A long power cord at 22” long provides sufficient coverage for cleaning a considerable space before the need to switch power plugs.
- Its water reservoir holds ¾ gallons of water, which is sufficient for a satisfactory cleaning experience with the appliance.
- The design seems to suffer from a design floor that makes the hose a little strained when wrapped on its holder, often causing it to break.
- It may be hard to get some replacement parts for this model in case some main unit functions fail and need repair or replacement.
7. Hoover PowerDash
This high powered upholstery cleaner is highly effective at cleaning surfaces with dirt buildup, grime, and high traffic areas quite easily. It produces heat during cleaning to dry the surfaces as fast as you go along. The unit is quite light and easily portable, so much that it makes it easy to clean all rooms in your home an easy task, and a mission that can be accomplished upon will. This model has a clean water canister capacity of 0.5 gallons, which proves to be enough when cleaning a good sized space. Not only can this cleaner be used on upholstery and carpet, but it can also be an effective companion when cleaning tight spaces such as attics. It also features a powerful pet brush that rolls on surfaces to perform deep cleaning and microbe elimination.
- This cleaner boasts of enough power to clean not only upholstery but carpets, stairs, and high foot traffic zones too around your home effectively.
- Light and easily portable, the cleaner can easily be used from room to room to conduct effective cleaning of the whole house in a considerably short period.
- Its water reservoir can hold 0.5 gallons of clean water, an amount that is enough to clean a fairly large area.
- This upholstery cleaner can easily be used to clean tight spaces such as attics quite comfortably, due to its cleverly designed form factor.
- A powerful pet brush fitted on the cleaner head performs deep cleaning and eliminates microbes and odor from surfaces.
- The brush on this model may be a little aggressive for use on delicate surfaces, and may pull and break fibers from rugs.
- The main unit is prone to leaking, which can quickly be a messy affair. Exercise caution and inspect for cracks or leaking upon reception.
8. Steamfast SF-370WH
This 1500 watt upholstery cleaner performs an excellent cleaning job, using pressurized steam to deep clean and completely sanitize your living space. The water reservoir is 48 ounces big, and provides enough water for an unbelievable 45 minutes of continuous steam production for your cleaning needs. This cleaner model ships with several different accessories, which can be attached to the main unit, to provide custom cleaning experiences on different surfaces as desired. A trigger located on the handle helps in regulating the amount of steam, and features a switch to lock the nozzle for the continuous steam setting. Using steam to clean surfaces, use this appliance for 100% chemical-free cleaning sessions. The model also features a handy cord wrapping mechanism for easy and neat storage of the 15” power cord.
- Cleaning using hot steam, this cleaner is effective at cleaning and sanitizing surfaces around your home, and does not require additional detergents to be efficient.
- A 48 ounce water canister provides plenty of water to provide steam, with the appliance boasting of a running time of 45 minutes at continuous steam production.
- Steam release from the device is regulated by a trigger located on the handle, and features a trigger-locking mechanism for continuous steam output.
- An array of specialized cleaning tools ship with this model, and work fantastically to remove dirt and microbes from various surfaces around your home.
- Its long power cord can be quickly stored by wrapping around a provided extension onboard the main unit.
- The unit’s build may be a little too light, which some users have expressed as affecting the overall durability.
- The model’s tank may become corroded with time.
9. McCulloch MC1275
Use this upholstery cleaner to completely eliminate grease, stains, and germs from surfaces such as tile, granite, and wood flooring among others quite effectively. It uses the natural power of steam as a sanitizer to eliminate germs and allergens from your surfaces extensively without requiring the addition of any cleaning solution. Featuring a 48 ounce water reservoir, you are assured of up to 45 minutes of continuous steam emission, and a trigger to regulate output. Bundled with the main unit are 18 different accessories that have specialized uses for cleaning different surfaces around your home. With a 15-foot long power cord and hose that measures more than 9 feet long, the cleaning reach accorded by this cleaner is more than enough for large areas.
- It offers a chemical-free cleaning experience, using only steam to achieve 99.9% level of sanitization without the need for additional detergents.
- A large tank capacity onboard the unit provides a continuous steam supply for up to 45 minutes, which is more than enough for day to day cleaning.
- This model packs a total of 18 additional tools that are specialized in cleaning different surfaces and making your cleaning session more productive.
- Both the power cord and hose are considerably long, providing the much-needed coverage, especially when cleaning vast expanses.
- Practice caution when using the appliance, as a leak could quickly result in scalding or even serious burns by the steam used to clean.
- The attachments may not be usable in case you break the devices’ hose.
10. Hoover Max Extract
This upholstery cleaner uses pressurized water to create a wall that effectively dislodges embedded particles from surfaces and lifts them for suction using the created constant spray stream. Featuring a dual nozzle technology, this cleaner also drains the dirty water from the surface being cleaned to enhance drying time. It also sports a novel cleaning mechanism which spins the cleaner head gently to loosen and pick up debris from surfaces, including carpet and upholstery material. Dirty water is kept separate from clean water inside the main unit through a handy smart tank system to avoid contamination while using the appliance. The built-in motor provides heated air that helps to decrease the drying time for cleaned surfaces.
- Pressurized water is used as the main cleaning mechanism for the model, effectively dislodging and picking up particles and debris from surfaces.
- The nozzle works both ways, supplying water to clean the surface as well as sucking the dirty water back into the main unit.
- Featuring a 360-degree spinning cleaner head that cleans by rotation to loosen particles for cleaning, this cleaner can deep clean carpet and upholstery material.
- A smart tank system separates the dirty water from the clean water to avoid contamination when cleaning bright colored surfaces.
- The inbuilt motor produces and supplies heat to the cleaned surface, effectively cutting down the time taken for the surface to dry.
- The spinning brush mechanism is likely to wear out with time, due to its mechanical nature.
- Always inspect your appliance on reception from shipping to make sure all parts are functional and fully operational.
What is the best way to clean a fabric sofa?
For effective cleaning of a fabric sofa, first, apply baking soda lightly by sprinkling on the fabric and let it stand for up to twenty minutes for it to react. The dirt breaks up together with odor creating particles for easy pickup with a cleaner. After action by the baking soda has taken place within that time, use upholstery cleaner to clean the loosened dirt with more efficiency. In case a few stubborn stains still show after cleaning using the given steps, use a clean cloth dabbed with a little detergent to finish the process.
How do you clean soft furnishings?
Soft furnishings should be cleaned with soap suds created from the warm water and cleaning solution. To avoid saturating the surface with water during such cleaning, apply only the created foam and scrub gently using a brush with soft bristles, taking care not to pull and damage the soft furnishing. Rinse the cleaned areas with a clean and moist cloth to remove dirt to your satisfaction.
How do I clean upholstery myself?
When you decide to clean upholstery yourself, keep in mind that some elements needed to effectively remove dirt and stains from your couch can readily be found in your kitchen. Items such as vinegar, baking soda and olive oil (for leather upholstery) are efficient at stain removal when properly mixed at required quantities. For fabric upholstery, the required combination should be ¼ cup vinegar, ¾ cup warm water, and a spoonful of cleaning solution. For leather upholstery, you need a ¼ cup vinegar and a ½ cup of olive oil for the cleaning mixture. As for synthetic upholstery, you require half a spoonful of detergent, ½ cup vinegar, and a cupful of warm water to create the mixture. The best way to clean any type of upholstery is by mixing as directed for the intended material, spraying the mixture lightly on the surface and scrubbing lightly with a soft cloth until the dirt is completely removed.
Can you steam clean a fabric sofa?
Steam cleaning is usually an effective method of sanitizing and removing dirt on a surface, restoring its initial beauty and sheen of the finishing. It is safe to steam clean a fabric sofa, and also, some steam cleaners also offer you the option of adding cleaning solutions that increase their efficiency at tackling deep-set dirt and stains. However, make sure that the bristles (if any) on your steam cleaner are soft, so that they do not pull and damage the fabric covering your couch.
How do you deep clean upholstery?
Deep cleaning upholstery is intended to remove embedded dirt and grime from couches, which cannot be removed by regular cleaning. For you to effectively deep clean your upholstery, you will require a fair amount of baking soda to be sprinkled on the surface, as it helps to separate the dirt from the upholstery material before you use the upholstery cleaner. For even further cleaning, you can mix the baking soda with the dry carpet cleaning agent and use it on the upholstery being cleaned.
Why is baking soda good for cleaning?
Baking soda is a mild alkali and proves to be an excellent cleaning agent as it tends to make it easier for dirt and stains to detach from fabric and become more readily soluble in water as you clean the surface. As sometimes, you may require using large quantities during cleaning, this product is safe and non-toxic as compared to other detergents that offer to do the same function, and does not pose any hazards to you as you use it.
Nothing beats lying down on a clean sofa that does not have an odor emanating from the fabric. Keeping your couch clean and odor-free should not be hectic, and neither should it take precious time off other activities you enjoy doing. Purchase an efficient upholstery cleaner to help you navigate around cleaning your couch, and if it does not prove its worth, then you can hardly go wrong with the discussed homemade cleaning solutions. This way, you will have your upholstery as radiant as it was designed to be without too much effort involved to maintain its beauty and elegance.