Is every vacuum cleaner the same thing?
With so many varieties and styles of vacuum cleaners, it’s easy to get frustrated and confused. You might as well throw in the towel and either continue with mop and broom or buy the first vacuum you come across – not always a good idea!
Continue searching for the best vacuum solution your home needs.
So, we put together this review and buyers guide to save you the mind-numbing task of doing all that research yourself.
Let’s go for a clean sweep on the top vacuum cleaners you can choose from.
Editor’s Picks : Top 6 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Upright Vacuum Buying Guide
But first, look at the following features that set the upright vacuum cleaner apart from other models:
Rotating Brushes: Most upright vacuum cleaner brands are equipped with rotating brushes that allow you to clean rugs, carpets, and soft furniture. With rotating brushes, dirt and other debris are easily extracted from your carpets and rugs. Some vacuum models also offer separate motors for the rotating brushes which are different from the motor used to propel the unit. The rotating brush motor is usually switched off whenever hard floors are to be vacuumed. If for some reason the brush-roll becomes jammed, the motor controlling the rotator brushes shuts off automatically.
Height Adjustment: A feature that upright vacuum cleaners are known for is height adjustment. For greater comfort, while vacuuming, the typical upright vacuum cleaner comes with various settings so you can change the height of your unit. This height adjustment feature also improves the flow of air in your vacuum so that you can clean various surfaces effectively. Height adjustments can be made manually with a knob or lever, or electronically using a controller or automatic adjustments.
Attachments: You won’t need other cleaning equipment when you have an upright vacuum cleaner. That’s because upright vacuum cleaners are also supplied with extra accessories that come in handy for various cleaning jobs. Attachments like an upholstery nozzle, a crevice tool, an extension or telescopic wand, and a dusting brush are provided with the typical upright vacuum purchase. Such versatility allows you to clean spaces like stairs, walls, ceilings, furniture, as well as floors.
Wider Cleaning Paths: Unlike other types of vacuum cleaners, the upright vacuum gives a broader cleaning path. So, it’s much easier to use your upright vacuum cleaner to cover more surface space with each stroke. Furthermore, its surround suction function also makes it easier for you to pick up dirt and debris from hard to reach areas as well as along baseboards.
Maneuverability: It’s great for your back if you can quickly move around with the upright vacuum cleaner. Maneuverability is a feature that makes the difference between a vacuum cleaner that is a pain and one that is a delight to work with. Upright vacuum cleaners that are equipped with a canister are more comfortable to maneuver. Most modern upright vacuum cleaners are designed with a greater range of motion that makes home cleaning chores much more manageable.
Top 10 Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners Reviews
#1 Bissell 9595A CleanView Bagless Vacuum with OnePass
Let’s start with the Bissell CleanView vacuum which is not too heavy to carry or maneuver. Although this vacuum cleaner is on the lighter side, it has not lost its power to pick up even the most stubborn dirt or dust. Its suction power lifts debris and dirt which are also separated to make it easy on the filters. With this powerful vacuum, your carpets and other surfaces remain clean.
Use this motorized handheld vacuum to remove dust and dirt from upholstery furniture, stairs, and your car. There are so many ways to put this versatile cleaning tool to work for you. You’re not limited in where your CleanView vacuum can reach thanks to the 25-foot power cord that comes with it. Furthermore, the extension wand that comes with this vacuum allows you to reach high as well as low places to remove dirt. Vacuuming your ceiling fans, ceilings, and baseboards does not have to be back-breaking with this amazing cleaning tool. It’s also easy to empty and does not cause a mess while you do that.
- Although lightweight, the CleanView vacuum is powerful for effectively removing dirt and dust from any surface;
- Clean more in one pass than any other vacuum on the market;
- This vacuum has a Cyclonic System that provides powerful suction, and it is also durable;
- Use its TurboBrush tool when vacuuming your furniture, stairs, upholstery, and furniture;
- Emptying the vacuum is simple – remove the dust canister and empty it.
- You might be disappointed with the length of its hose.
#2 Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer FH50150
Quickly remove even the toughest dirt from your carpets, rugs, and fabric furniture with the powerful Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer. With its SpinScrub brushing system, your rugs and carpets will be completely clean. Every inch of the surface will be covered. This vacuum is also easy to use and will not cause you stress or strain – it is so lightweight – below 19 lbs!
You can depend on the strong suction that the Hoover brand of vacuum cleaners is known for. It cleans carpets by forcing heated air directly to the surface without damaging their fibers. Drying time after cleaning is also faster with this Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Vacuum. Emptying the vacuum’s tank is also quick and mess free. The easy emptying action is possible with its Smart Tank system. Furthermore, the dual tanks allow you to separate the clean from the dirty water and fill, rinse, and empty them separately. Easily mix the water and detergent in your container and see the incredible cleaning results.
- Lifts tough dirt from carpets and fabric surfaces with the vacuum’s powerful 360-degree brush system;
- Cleans surfaces evenly with its double V Nozzle; provides even suction power.
- Easy to carry to wherever is messy because it weighs less than 19 lbs;
- Its 8 feet hose along with an upholstery tool make it easy to vacuum the stairs and other difficult to reach places;
- Your room smells fresh afterward.
#3 Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional NV356E
Get professional cleaning results with the Shark Navigator Lift-away Professional Vacuum Cleaner. You may consider this the best vacuum cleaner you have ever owned. Use this versatile cleaner on rugs, laminate floors, tiles and fabric furniture with the help of the detachable wand. Even in a house full of cats and dogs that shed regularly, you can expect a perfect clean with this powerful vacuum cleaner.
With its strong suction power, the Shark Navigator is quite effective on any surface, even on shag type carpets. The only thing you need to ensure when using on shag type rugs and carpets is to keep the beater bars turned off to prevent the beaters from automatically turning off. It is so easy to detach and empty the canister when it is full. Conveniently, the power cord is long enough to prevent you from having to plug it out every time you must clean in another area.
- Clean areas that are not so easy to reach with this Shark Navigator vacuum cleaner;
- Effectively collect and trap 99.9% of the dust and allergens found in your home;
- Weighs just 13.7 pounds, so it is easy to carry around;
- Easy to use and maintain.
- The unit may stop working if it is not adequately cared for.
#4 Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
Enjoy the convenience of cleaning your home with stick vacuum cleaners that use Lithium-Ion batteries. With the Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner, you don’t need a power outlet in every room to get your entire home clean. Not only is this a stick vacuum that doesn’t need a wall outlet to operate, but it also comes with Hoover’s powerful WindTunnel technology for exceptional suction.
Deep dirt and dust can be removed in a single pass, thanks to the Hoover Linx’s incredible suction power. Clean your home from corner to corner with the versatile Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner. A convenient feature of this Hoover Linx is the hassle-free movement between rooms and up the stairs (without having to contend with electrical cords). Control every action with the touch of buttons located at your fingertips.
- Vacuum clean your entire home without worrying about where the power outlet is;
- Easily lift deep dirt and debris from surfaces thanks to the powerful suction of the WindTunnel Technology;
- The handle reclines to make it easier for you to reach under furniture to vacuum;
- Switch between different floors such as from hard floor to carpet.
- The charger may stop working shortly after purchase. You can, however, return it to your vendor.
#5 Shark Upright & Canister Upright Vacuum TruePet Mini-Motorized Brush Bordeaux
Maybe you would prefer this other upright vacuum cleaner from the Shark brand. In that case, here is the Shark Upright and Canister Vacuum which has the controls located conveniently at your fingertips. Not only is the Shark vacuum easy to maneuver, but it also has strong suction power. Clean anywhere around the house from stairs, the living room, bedrooms, and anywhere in between. This versatile vacuum works just as well on hard floors as on carpets.
The Shark upright vacuum also uses powerful rotators that lift embedded dirt, pet hair, and dust from your surfaces. Your carpets will look and feel fluffier after a thorough cleaning. Expect to have this vacuum around for a long time as it is also durable.
- The Shark Vacuum features a canister you can remove and empty quite easily;
- Do a thorough clean of hard to reach areas;
- It cleans your floor like a pro, and you can bet that every scrap of debris will be picked up by its powerful suction;
- Cleans up pet hair from any surface with its Pet-Multi tool and TruePet Motorized Brush;
- Easy to control with the touch of a button.
- This Shark vacuum is heavier than similar sized upright vacuum cleaners;
- A notch that is provided to secure your cord off the ground is ineffective;
- The clip that is there to keep the hose from dragging on the floor does not work;
- This Shark vacuum does not work well with large amounts of heavy particles at once;
- Suction power is less on low pile carpet mode than it is in hard floor mode.
#6 Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Look for the best upright vacuum cleaner, and you’ll find the Bissell Cleanview Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner. Despite its quiet motor, the Bissell packs suction power. All you need is one pass over your carpets, rugs, and floors to see the surface beneath all the dirt and debris. Now you can get rid of pet hairs and make your home fresh and clean for everyone to enjoy.
It’s easy to move around with the Bissell as it is not heavy, and you can maneuver it without straining your back. Get into difficult to reach areas with this flexible home cleaning tool as well. It’s also easy to empty the 2-liter capacity canister without leaving a mess (it empties from the bottom when you release the clip). Did we mention that this vacuum can be adjusted to five different heights up to 32 feet? This flexibility means you can get into every crevice and corner of your home to get that perfect clean.
- Removes most dust and debris in one pass thanks to its powerful suction;
- All dirt and debris are collected into the bin attached to the vacuum cleaner, so you don’t need bags;
- It’s easy to assemble and use;
- Reach areas that are difficult to get to;
- It’s light and easy to carry around so that you can clean anywhere in your home quickly.
- Ensure that the vacuum does not get clogged with pet hair.
#7 Oreck Commercial XL Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The right vacuum cleaner makes the difference between a great job and a shabby one. So, you shouldn’t expect anything less than the best result from the Oreck Commercial XL Upright Vacuum Cleaner. With this powerful unit, you can convert dirty and littered floors, carpets, rugs, and other surfaces into spanking clean areas everyone would love. Use this versatile vacuum to rid baseboards, cabinets, furniture, and floors of even the most stubborn dirt.
Even if your carpets and floor are permanently littered with pet hair, you can achieve an amazing clean with the Oreck XL Commercial Vacuum. The Oreck is also light – at just 8 lbs – and easy to use. The Oreck also covers every corner, and tight spot of your home and the handle is designed to make your vacuuming chore more comfortable. The replaceable vacuum bag holds much more than other bags, so merely fill and replace them.
- The Oreck is not heavy, and it is easy to set up and use;
- It comes equipped with a robust motor that provides incredible suction power;
- It has a wide – 12 inch – cleaning path;
- The bags are easy to put on and take off;
- The handle is comfortable to use and is not hard on the hands (even if you have arthritis);
- The Oreck upright vacuum is affordable and fits most budgets.
- The Oreck vacuum cleaner is not supplied with other attachments; you need to buy them separately;
- It is a little loud – but that is to be expected with its powerful motor;
- It might take a little effort to clean and maintain this vacuum (swapping belts, changing brushes, etc.) but you must do it to keep it functioning at its best.
#8 Eufy HomeVac Lightweight Cordless Upright-Style Vacuum Cleaner
Consider this sturdy yet lightweight vacuuming machine among your arsenal of home care tools that you can depend on. Not only is this vacuum a cordless unit that packs suction power, but it is also a versatile tool that easily cleans anywhere in the home. Among its many features is the centrifugal force that makes vacuuming and dusting in your home a fun-filled and straightforward task.
Get to corners, under tables, under the bed, and into other hard to reach places with the flexible HomeVac. Its light weight – only 5.5. Lbs – makes this vacuum quite an easy one to take around to wherever messes are to clean. It is powered by a Li-ion battery that can keep your vacuum running for up to 50 minutes. No need, therefore, to deal with electrical cords while you clean. Even LED lights are provided to allow you to see everything you do and to clean out dark areas.
- Save your energy and time with this powerful vacuum that lifts dirt and debris at a single pass thanks to its strong suction power;
- You don’t need electricity to power this vacuum as its large 2200 mAh Li-ion battery does the job for as long as 50 mins;
- This vacuum: is also light enough to easily carry around the home, even up the stairs to wherever there is a mess to clean up;
- This vacuum cleaner is easy to empty and clean, detach the dust collector and empty it.
- If you have pets that shed, the centrifuge in the center of your vacuum will quickly get jammed, and you would need to clear it of pet hairs.
- You’ll need to empty the small capacity canister frequently even while you vacuum.
#9 Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Homes with pets can be a pain to keep clean without the right vacuum cleaner. That’s precisely why the Dyson Ball Animal 2 Total Clean Upright Vacuum Cleaner was created. If you’re a pet owner, you know that only vacuum cleaners made for animals will effectively rid the environment of pet hairs that show up all over the place. Dyson’s suction power is second to none. Expect this high-performance vacuum cleaner to lift and remove pet hairs, dirt, dust, and debris from your home and any area you pass it over without getting brushes tangled.
The cleaner head adjusts itself automatically whenever it encounters carpets or hard floors. It remains efficient no matter the conditions. This vacuum cleaner is also supplied with six other accessories to make it a complete solution for your cleaning needs. So, you can reach those difficult to reach areas with the extension wand. The Dyson Ball is easy to assemble and pull apart. Emptying the bin is also quick and easy.
- The cleaner head adjusts itself to the surface conditions;
- It’s very efficient in removing pet hairs without getting tangled;
- Additional tools allow you to do more with the Dyson Ball including reaching tight spots and corners;
- It’s designed to keep allergens under control – you won’t cough or sneeze when you use it;
- It’s not noisy; it operates quietly.
Fitting the accessories – wand, hoses, etc. is not easy as you must correctly line up each segment to install them properly.
#10 Kenmore 31140 Pet & Allergy Friendly Bagged Upright Vacuum Cleaner
You won’t leave anything behind you when you use the Kenmore 31140 upright vacuum cleaner. Not only is the Kenmore a safe vacuum cleaner to use to reduce allergens in the air, but it is also the best cleaner to use around pets. That said, expect an efficient and powerful vacuum from Kenmore. Its dual motor and Power Flow systems are features that set Kenmore upright vacuum cleaner apart from its rivals. With this power, even the most challenging dirt, dust, and pet hairs will go.
The Kenmore vacuum cleaner comes with a telescoping wand which has three attachments that make vacuuming easier for you. Your Kenmore vacuum is also versatile for cleaning floors, ceilings, walls, carpets, and rugs, as well as furniture. Every corner of your home is within reach of this easy to use cleaning tool.
- The Kenmore’s double motors allow for complete removal of dirt, dust, and litter from your home;
- Pet owners and persons affected by allergies will find relief by using this dependable Kenmore vacuum cleaner;
- Completely clean your house, even in tight corners, using accessories like the Pet Handi-Mate that removes dander and pet hairs and the telescoping wand which has a reach of around 10 feet;
- Equipped with LED headlights and it can be adjusted for four heights for the best airflow and efficient cleaning;
- Has a 30-feet cord and a 10-feet attachment to make vacuuming more comfortable and practical.
- Design flaws cause the Kenmore to blow out (like a leaf blower) at times.
- The hose attachment does not have enough reach to be useful in every situation.
Why Choose an Upright Vacuum Cleaner?
Less Expensive Than Competition
When it comes to the value-for-money parameter, the upright vacuum cleaners tend to fare much better than their canister counterparts. This is mostly because upright vacuums have fewer parts than the canister ones.
For example, a typical canister vacuum cleaner will have the canister (obviously), a hose, the vacuum head, the possibly some attachments and then the cord. Upright vacuum cleaners, on the other hand, have their motor, dust container, and the vacuum head all combined into one and the same body. So, they’re like canister vacuums sans the hose. Plus, they’re usually lighter and less cumbersome than their canister counterparts.
No hose means no additional parts that air has to go through to get to the surface below. This is why upright vacuum cleaners fare so well when it comes to their suction and the ability to easily tackle all kinds of messes on multiple surfaces.
In fact, upright vacuum cleaners tend to be so successful with cleaning up messes from off the floor that many of them boast the special one-pass cleaning ability – meaning that they can pick up the majority of dust and other particles from a surface in a single pass.
This is great if you dislike vacuuming and rather fancy finishing the job of in a single go.
Boasting quite a large dust container (well, for their size, anyway), upright vacuum cleaners tend to perform well in the department of dust storage. Although there are many models out there on the market that can do much better when the size of this container is in question, the upright vacuum cleaners don’t lag too far behind.
The thing is, their slick build, which features no hose dictates that the rest of the vacuum should also be slim and as lightweight as possible. This is why upright vacuum cleaner manufacturers often opt to make the containers on their models as large as possible – within a body that’s designed to be as small as possible.
Wide Cleaning Path
While the size of the cleaning path does not depend that much on the type of the vacuum cleaner itself, the upright vacuum cleaner models do seem to fare quite well when this is in question.
Since the cleaner’s head won’t be detachable and easily changeable, the folks making these vacuum cleaners typically make sure to install vacuuming heads that will be wide enough to pick up a lot of debris as they go along.
So, if you’ve decided to buy one of these upright vacuum cleaners, you can rest assured that there will be plenty of models on the market with wide cleaning paths.
One of the best ways to ensure your vacuum cleaner will be able to take care of a wide variety of messes (especially if they’re on the carpet) would be to get a model with a motorized brush. Luckily for the folks who are considering buying an upright vacuum cleaner model, there are plenty of them with a motorized brush, so you won’t have trouble finding one that suits your interests in the same way.
The thing about motorized brushes is – they tend to work quite well on carpets, so if you have a high pile carpet, for example, getting an upright model with a motorized brush would be a bullseye.
Bagged vs. Bagless Upright Vacuum: Pros & Cons
Bagged Upright Vacuums Pros & Cons
- Great for Folks with Allergies – One of the biggest vacuum cleaning-related problems with people who suffer from allergies is that emptying the bag can get quite dusty. The dust, debris, and God know what else pollutants will start flying all over the place as soon as you dip that dust container to empty it out. So, the great thing with bagged models is that you don’t need to do that. Instead, you just take the bag and throw it into the trash. Then you just take another, new bag and attach it to the vacuum cleaner again.
- No Complex Maintenance – A great thing about bagged vacuum cleaners would be that they don’t really require that much maintenance. More often than not, all you need to do to make these work is to simply change the filter once in a blue moon (every six months or so), and then you’re good to go. With bagless models, you would have to clean them after every use, by the way.
- Buying New Bags – … sure can get old quite soon. Since a bag is thrown away every time you finish vacuuming, you have to always have a new batch of fresh bags ready to be applied to your vacuum cleaner. So, nothing too complicated maintenance-wise, but you need to keep those bags comin’, which can be annoying.
Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaners Pros & Cons
- Eco-Friendly Design – Having to change the bags every time you’ve finished vacuuming your living room can be quite taxing both on your budget and on the environment – if you believe that plastic bags do actually make a difference. Anyway, having to buy bags all the time certainly hurts the environment that not having to do so, so there’s your eco-conscious argument if you want it.
- Not as Expensive as Bagged Models – … mostly because with the bagged ones you have to buy new bags all the time. Obviously, if you don’t have to buy new bag batches every couple of months, you can save a bunch of money.
- The Maintenance Can be a Drag – One of the biggest spanners in the works of bagless vacuum cleaners would be that they require quite a lot of maintenance. (Especially in comparison to their bagged counterparts.) The thing is, these need to be emptied out every time you venture to empty out your vacuum cleaner’s container, so if you have one of these, make sure to prepare yourself for quite a lot of dust inhaling and other sorts of trouble.
How to Clean Pet Hair with an Upright Vacuum?
When it comes to tackling pet-related messes with an upright vacuum cleaner, the deal is quite straightforward. You simply take the vacuum cleaner, set the suction to strongest and then go over the mess in question. That’s all there is to it. So, it’s pretty much the same as you would do with any other vacuum cleaner model.
Of course, in case there’s a special attachment dedicated to pet hairs, in particular, you need to take it and then stick it to the head of the vacuum cleaner. After you’ve done this, you can rest assured that your vacuum cleaner will have the optimal weapon to take down (or, rather, up) any bundle of hair, fur, or other pet fur-related droppings with notable ease.
On the other hand, if your vacuum cleaner has multiple speeds and modes of suction, you may want to turn on the most powerful one for this purpose, because this way you’ll be able to clean the mess in question as efficiently as the vacuum cleaner’s limitation allows.
Canister vs. Upright Vacuum Cleaner Comparison
Upright vacuum cleaners tend to be less expensive than their counterparts with a separate canister for several reasons. Most of it, though, has simply to do with the fact that canister vacuum cleaners tend to do be more complex when it comes to their build. Bigger canister, a hose, and an overall larger build all add up to a steeper price.
More often than not, canister vacuum cleaners tend to be more powerful than the upright models. This is because of quite a simple reason. Since canister cleaners don’t need to be literally carried about, they can be larger than the uprights – as we’ve already mentioned above. An interesting byproduct of this design, however, is that the motor can be larger and thus more powerful, as well.
Although even the most complex vacuum cleaner can be assembled in minutes, there are still those times when you need to clean up an area as quickly as possible. This is the time when upright vacuum cleaners shine. All you need to do to render them operational is stick their cable in a wall socket, flip the on button and start vacuuming. With canister models, on the other hand, you need to attach the special additional parts and adjust the hose before you can start vacuuming.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) What surfaces does an upright vacuum work best on?
There’s really no specific sort of surface where a vacuum cleaner may work better or worse.
- A well-made upright vacuum cleaner will work as well on carpets as it will on a parquet, for example. On the other hand, upright vacuum cleaners with a motorized brush tend to work better on carpeted surfaces, especially on high pile carpets.
2) Are upright vacuum cleaners better than other types?
It all depends on what you are looking for.
- If you want a model that is easy to use, requires no assembly and can do wonders on rugs and carpets, then going for an upright model might be exactly what you need.
- Conversely, if you want more power, more reach, and don’t care about the maintenance too much, a canister model may be a better choice for you.
- If you’re looking for handling and maneuverability, perhaps a handheld model would be the best way to go.
3) Which upright vacuum has the best suction?
- Since the suction of a vacuum cleaner is directly connected with the power of its motor, a good rule of thumb would be to buy a model with the strongest motor. (That also means it will have excellent suction.)
When upright vacuum cleaners are in question, models from Bissell and Dyson seem to have some of the most powerful models out there.
4) Which is a better choice: upright or canister model?
As we mentioned above, it depends on what needs you, as a user, have.
For example, if you have a bunch of high pile carpets that you need to clean on a regular basis, going for an upright model may be just what you need.
On the other hand, for those folks who demand powerful suction and a longer reach, a canister model would definitely represent a better choice.
5) Do You Need A Good Upright Vacuum For Pet Hair?
Pet hair represents a constant problem for many pet owners when it comes to cleaning up their carpets. (Unless your pet is a python or an iguana.)
- So, the rub is, pet hair is not so difficult to remove from hard floors, but it can get quite tricky the get rid of from a high pile carpet. Now, given the upright vacuum cleaners’ excellent reputation as high pile carpet cleaners, it would be safe to say that a powerful upright vacuum would be a good solution for pet hair.
The answer, therefore, is ‘yes’, you need a good upright vacuum cleaner to get rid of pet hair. (If you have carpets.)
6) Do Uprights Work Well with Pet Hair?
Yes, they do.
Thanks to their decent suction power and motorized brushes, upright vacuum cleaners can penetrate deep into the fibers of a carpet and suck in the pet hairs there with ease.
So, as long as you’ve managed to find a model with a motorized brush, chances are – you’re going to have an easy time vacuuming up the pet hair from carpets.
Have you made up your mind about which of these fantastic upright vacuum cleaners you would buy? Indeed, there is no shortage of options here for you to choose from. Whether you prefer a bagged or bagless vacuum or a vacuum that is lightweight or heavy, the ones we discussed are among the best on the market. Pet owners should particularly be interested in the vacuum cleaners that works best in a hair-filled environment. We have taken the first step in providing you with this review and buyer’s guide. That leaves you to make your step in deciding for and buying your upright vacuum cleaner.