When using the internet and telephone services simultaneously, sometimes you’ll observe that either the internet speed lags or the voice quality minimizes. It can be an intermittent connection, slow speed, or no connection at all. It can also be a hissing sound from the other party you’re communicating with. If this is your case, you need to install the best DSL filter or check whether the pre-installed one is working effectively.
DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) filters are small electronic equipment that connects communication devices such as caller ID units, telephones, answering machines, DVRs, cable boxes, Fax machines, and a lot more. They also work with an internet modem to scale broadband connection speed.
When choosing, first ensure that the filter is compatible with your communication device. Secondly, check if it comes with jacks that are easy to install by the end-users. Most DSL filters are inexpensive, but if you care about your value for the buck, here is a list of 10 premium quality filters to choose from.
Top Picks : 5 Best DSL Filters
Top 10 Best DSL Filters Reviews- 2021
1. Power Gear Phone Line Dsl Filter
Topping our list of filters is the Power Gear Phone, A DSL filter made by the renowned US Company the Power Gear. Well, this device comes in a sleek white body with one pot to connect the phone and a small cable for secondary devices such as computers. Once connected, it filters both the audio and the internet speed to prevent lag or substandard voice quality. The noise filter is one line and powerful enough to enhance your communication even when the telephone network is poor.
This product comes in 1 pack, 2 pack, and 10 packs, so you can choose what is best for you depending on your pocket’s size. Also, it removes the hustle of purchasing from different companies when you need multiple DSL filters for other devices. The filter measures 0.8 x 4.73 x 6.84 inches and can fit inside both the front and back pockets for remote use. It connects to the standard phone jacks, making it ideal for most cellphone models in the market; you also use this filter to include fax machines, answering machines, and many more.
- Crystal clear audio: the DSL phone line filter eliminates any interfering phone signals with the DSL ring. It provides clear sound hence great communication.
- Easy to install: you only need to mount the DSL filter into the wall jack and then connect the line cable from the device to the DSL filter.
- Ideal devices: Interestingly, you can use it with multiple devices such as answering machines, fax machines, and other devices.
- Comprehensive diagram: the product comes with a comprehensive diagram to guide you on connecting the DSL filter to the wall jack.
- Ideal for use with any device that supports the standard mobile phone jack
- It weighs only a few pounds; hence highly portable
- Wedge with screws for durability and years of use
- Filters both telephone and internet networks
- It does not accept a double connector
2. InstallerParts DSL Modem Phone Filter
Sometimes, you’d wish to filter audio and internet connection through a modem. If that’s one of the reasons you’re in the market for a new filter, InstallerParts will bail you out. Well, this device guarantees quality audio when making calls and prevents internet lag. You don’t necessarily need a mobile phone to use it as it works exclusively with a modem. It works perfectly with all the devices that come in handy with the standard phone jack. You can use this filter on cordless phones, VOIP phones, Fax machines, and Landlines.
Intallerparts is pretty easy to install since it comes with an Rj11 female that plugs into the device’s standard jack. Meaning, you don’t need a complete setup of wires, battery, or other secondary installation tools. You can rest assured of excellent quality audio with no chaps, white noise, or any disturbance with this device. It also minimizes buffering, so you get to enjoy a speed that is up to par with whatever task you’re doing.
- Compatible: it works with brands that support connection to conventional phone jacks for a fast and effortless installation.
- Suitable devices: Although this DSL filter doesn’t operate on landline phones, it works significantly on answering machines, cordless phones, fax machines, and VoIP phones.
- User friendly: thanks to the lightweight and compact design, making it portable. You don’t require any tool for installation. Just plug in the female finish to the device and the male one to the wall phone jack.
- Easy to install using a standard phone jack
- It weighs only a few pounds hence easy to carry around
- Ideal for all devices with standard phone jacks
- Guarantees top-notch audio quality and internet speed
- A bit pricier
3. in-line DSL Filter w/Splitter
In-Line W/Splitter is a phone filter that mainly separates internet signals from either fax or voice signals. When surfing, sometimes you’ll realize that the speed of your router lags. Buy this device, hook it to the router or phone line, and you’ll see the internet speed skyrocket. Not only that, but this device also works with landlines, fax machines, and other devices with RJ-11 connectors. If you’re using a modem, simply hook up the cable labeled DSL to your computing device, and it will install as a filter.
Unlike most filters in the market, in-Line doesn’t require codes to use. When installed, it will immediately gauge your internet and voice speed and start filtering the two almost immediately. Moreover, you can choose to only work with the telephone port if you intend to filter only the voice. The most impressive feature about this device is that it plugs and takes wires. You can plug it into the phone jack; plug a telephone cord into its port, or plug a second cord that leads to a DSL modem.
- Suitable devices: the in-line DSL filter connects the wall jack and the devices, including fax machine, phone, answering machine, and caller ID.
- Clear sound: the product removes all the impedance from the device that interferences with the DSL communication.
- Functionality: It also provides both an unfiltered DSL jack for DSL connection and a filtered jack for a single communication line.
- Stylish and innovative design: it comes with a small and compact design ensuring portability and easy storage.
- Compatible with all devices that feature RJ-11 connectors
- Easy to install and use
- Plugs and accepts plugs from other secondary devices
- Guarantee stable quality audio and internet speed
- Not ideal for some phones
4. Cimple 2 Wire, 1 Line DSL Filter
Not all filters come with both male and female plugs. This DSL filter by The Cimple CO is one in a million devices that come with Male and Female connector genders, making it ideal for use with any type of ADSL and DSL device. In case you are on the fence about which filter best suits your device, don’t worry anymore; this device will remove the guesswork off your purchasing process. It is compatible with printers, modems, Direct TV, DVR, telephones, Fax, computers, answering machines, Comcast, satellite dishes, and a lot more.
This filter functions by blocking high-frequency DSL signals while at the same time eliminating any type of DSL interference. It minimizes background noise, white noise, and service interruption. Unlike most of the devices we’ve reviewed, this filter comes in multiple color choices and a variety of styles. Popular shades to choose from include grey, ivory, and white. Plus, the package includes a DIY repair and splice kit that you can use to cut and customize the ends to suit your preferences.
- Noise reduction: the DSL filter with splitter reduces high-frequency DSL signals while eliminating unwanted interferences.
- Clear sound: it provides crystal clear sound phone communication without service interruption or background noise.
- Ideal for various devices: you can use it in your home office, apartment, hotel usages like a fax machine, phone, and printers.
- Different styles and colors: interestingly you can choose a DSL filter that suits your preferences since it comes in various styles and colors.
- Easy to use: the DSL filter comes with a built-in splitter, making the installing process simple and straightforward.
- High-quality audio with minimal distractive noise
- Easy to customize to your individual preference
- Multiple color choices that match your computing device
- It weighs only 1.6 ounces making it easy to carry around
- A bit pricier compared to variants of the exact scope of functions
5. Uvital in-line DSL Filter Splitter/in-line DSL Filter
U-Vital is an ADSL filter with RJ11 6P2C Male to female connectors for telephones and computing devices. It maximizes both the DSL and ADSL to create a more precise audio quality and internet speed. To achieve its functions, it blocks interference by splitting the phone signals and ADSL transmissions. Additionally, this device isolates low frequencies voice signals when connecting to the internet to ensure fast, error-free, and cleanest data transfer.
Once the two signals split, this filter protects both of them from interference, making it easy to maintain a stable connection and quality audio. It can also reduce the audio signals and noise levels in computing devices such as caller machines. U-Vital uses a standard telephone line to connect a computer to broadband. To install your phone, insert any of the two RJ11s pig-tailed cables into your phone’s standard jack pin or any other device with an equal port.
- Lightning protection design: the filter split the phone line signal between the high-pitched keyboards and low-pitched human voices. It reduces noise levels and improves signal quality.
- Easy to install: with this filter, you need to plug the splitter to the wall jack and connect your devices, including fax machine, phone, caller ID, among others.
- Suitable devices: the product allows you to connect multiple devices, including voiceband modem, telephone, and fax machine, among others.
- Amazingly, the DSL filter permits the internet to operate your computer through the telephone since the line is mounted to the modem.
- Versatile for use with any device that has a standard mobile jack pin
- Easy to install and use without any tool
- Can transfer up to 225 megabytes per second
- It weighs only 2.4 ounces
- Accepts only male-to-female connection
6. SHONCO in-line DSL Filter
Shonco in-line DSL filter is a premium device that is best known for its outstanding design and color. This device racks our list of reviews due to its compact-sized body, making it a top choice for portability. At the back are two ports; one for telephone filters and the second for DSL. The ports accept a male RJ11 6PAC connector. The telephone port is mainly for filtering audio quality and preventing noise disturbance for quality communication. Conversely, the DSL port filters ADSL signals and works great with other devices such as computers, fax machines, and many more.
The cable length is 6cm—not so long compared to other variants but very sturdy for years of use. Moreover, the case size measures 4.5 x 3 x 2 cm and can easily fit into the palm. And since the filter is formed into a plate hung, it perfectly works with a standard wall mount telephone.
- Compatibility: the DSL filter allows multiple devices to connect to one RJ11 phone jack like DSLAM and PSTN devices.
- Strong connection: the DS filter eliminates interferences between the devices, and DSL serves connected to the same line hence preventing connection problems.
- Easy to install: you don’t need to worry about installation because no tool is required. Just install the DSL filter on devices, then DSL to the wall jack.
- Small and compact design: this design makes the DSL filter easy to carry around and store. It also has an AC220V making it great for connection.
- Ideal for use with a wide range of communication devices
- Compact sizes make it even more compatible
- It weighs only 0.176 ounces
- The plastic body is durable for years of use
- It does not accept a full-size Ethernet connector.
7. SinLoon in-line DSL Filter Splitter
SinLoon is another filter that works great when using the internet over a broadband connection. It connects to a standard telephone line and filters DSL and ADSL+ signals for flawless communication. It also filters the modem’s low pitch human sound and high pitch sound to create quality voice when using a telephone. Additionally, the thundering protection feature comes with DSL interference, anti-service interruption, and background noise for clear communication.
SinLoon accepts RJ116P2C Female to Female connectors, so you can only connect it to the broadband systems that use female jacks. Other compatible devices that it works with include fax machines, telephones, voiceband devices, and voiceband modems. For years of use, the system includes High Voltage protectors that prevent electric surges. You’ll also like the sturdy plastic body that lasts years under proper maintenance. Otherwise, this system only weighs 1.41 pounds and measures 2.36 x 1.97 x 1.1 inches.
- The DSL filter comes with a thundering protection feature to prevent background noise and service interruption hence clear audio.
- Splitter feature: It allows your internet to work on your phone via the telephone line connected to the modem.
- Suitable devices: with this product, you can use it on multiple devices, including fax machines, telephone, voiceband modem, and other devices.
- Easy to install: you need to plug in the devices to the DSL filter ports and connect them to the wall jack.
- It comes in a sturdy plastic body for years of use
- Ideal for all types of communication devices
- Only take a minute to install without using any tool
- Guarantee quality audio on telephone calls
- Ideal for three-way filtering
- Do not come with any cable
8. 2 Line Wall Mount DSL Filter
When using a wall-mount telephone or landline, you’ll at least encounter problems when trying to reach the dial. Also, if your telephone voice cracks, installing a DSL filter may be a cumbersome task. Amazingly, you can mount both the communicating device and the filter on the same wall. For the process to be successful, this filter comes in a thin body with a surface easy to attach to the wall. It also accepts wall screws, so you can pin it permanently to prevent accidental falls.
2-Line Wall Mount connects via a standard auxiliary jack pin and two voice jack pins. It is compatible with fax machines, personal computers, cell phones, caller ID boxes, and answering machines. Once the jackpine clicks into the pot, it filters impedances that interfere with the voice quality for flawless communication.
- Mounting lugs: you don’t need to worry about wall mounting because it comes with a 1-line filtered, auxiliary DSL jack, and 2 voice jacks.
- Quality communication: this product prevents impedances that interfere with the ADSL communications while providing clear communication.
- It is ideal for multiple devices: it is compatible with different devices, including phone, answering machine, fax machine, and caller ID box.
- It comes in a compact size that fits into any wall
- Ensures quality voice transfer
- Cheaper than most devices in the market
- Ideal for various types of computing devices with standard jack pins
- Needs some screws and a bit of effort to pin onto the wall plate
9. 2WIRE DSL FILTER
2-Wire DSL filter is probably the cheapest and the simplest filter you’ll ever find in the market. This device looks pretty like the head of a USB cable. It comes with ports at both ends that connect into a standard jack pin. It accepts both female and male connectors. All these features allow for its use with mobile phones, personal computers, and modems.
You will be wrong to underrate this device based on its general outlooks; in reality, it does everything you may look for in a regular DSL filter. It separates the ADSL signals with the voice signals to scale internet speed. It also comes with noise deterrent features that ensure crystal clear voice when communicating over the phone or with call receivers. In terms of weight, this device is only 0.8 ounces, and the extending wire is removable. You can roll it or cover it with the palm when moving from one place to the other.
- Eliminates interferences: it ensures all the DSL connections are prevented from analog noise, modem error, and service interruptions.
- Compatibility: the product can be used with a phone, answering machines, fax machines, and analog modems that share telephone lines or home computer networks.
- Giveback jack: it allows you to use the device or DSL modem with their existing telephone device simultaneously.
- Easy installation: the DSL filter features a clear mark to ensure quick and easy installation. Just connect the devices to the DSL ports while the filter to the wall jacks.
- It comes in a simple design
- The body is sturdy enough for years of use
- It does not compromise the quality of audio and internet speed
- Ideal for use with all devices that connects via a standard jack pin
- It cannot be used with double DSL pins
10. Z-Blocker Z-330P2J Single-Line DSL Filter
The last in our reviews is the Z-Blocker, a Single-Line DSL filter with double ports at the back for phone line and internet. This DSL line comes with a whopping 5-filters; three for filtering phone lines and two for internet connectivity. If your internet speed is slow or you can’t get a crystal clear voice when communicating on a cell phone, Excelsus Z-Blocker is indispensable.
These DSL line filters block stray ADSL signals so that they do not cause any form of deterrence to your net. The device weighs 0.8 ounces, so you can easily carry it around. It also filters voice and internet interference from HPN connection. Even when using multiple devices, this filter will save you the hassle as it comes with two ports that connect using a standard jack pin.
- Voice quality: the product splits the DSL and phone line signals from voice signals for outstanding data performance and voice quality.
- High performance: it works best for devices that share a single phone jack. It ensures voice and data quality.
- Effective device: it is ideal for multiple devices such as phone, fax, answering machine, dial-up modem, among others.
- Easy to install: you will not need a tool because you just need to plug in the filter to any wall jack and plug the phone cable into the filter.
- Ideal for all the devices that come with RJ11 standard jack pin
- The flexible plastic body is durable even with wall-mounted devices
- Easy to install by simply chipping your RJ11 connector into any of the port
- Works perfectly with both HPN/DSL connection
- Does not accept a male jack
What to Consider When Purchasing DSL Filters
When it comes to buying a DSL filter, then you need to know the factors to consider to get what is best for you. They include:
- Durability: It is essential to consider the material used in construction. Choose a DSL filter from high quality and material since it guarantees sturdiness and durability.
- Color: with so many DSL filters in the market, you can consider one depending on your needs and preferences. For instance, check if the color of your DSL filter would have any effect on its operation.
- Size: another factor to consider is the size because they come in different sizes. You need to decide whether to choose a large or small DSL filter based on the need and preferences. You can select smaller ones because they tend to be lightweight and compact enough to carry around and storage.
- Compatibility: when purchasing a DSL filter, ensure you choose one that supports various devices, including answering machines, phone, and fax machines, among others. With such a tool, you don’t need to keep buying many devices, which is cost-effective.
- Storage: it is also essential to consider how you will store the DSL filter. When it comes to storage, check the device’s size and weight to make sure it is stored properly. Also, consider under which climate you will keep the device.
- Installation: no one wants a complicated device when it comes to installing. Before purchase, a DSL filter ensures you consider installing the process. The process needs to be simple and straightforward. Most devices require you to install the DSL filter to the wall jack while the phone cords to the DSL filter ports.
- Noise reduction: Consider if the device reduces the background noise and service interruption to ensure quality communication.
- Splitter feature: you can also buy a DSL filter with a splitter feature that allows the internet to work on your device through the telephone.
How do you set up a DSL filter?
Are you wondering how to install a DSL filter? Just relax since the process is effortless and straightforward. Here are several filters to choose from:
Let’s explore the different types of filters:
1. Single-port filter
As the name suggests, a single port filter connects to a single device, including a fax machine or phone, to a wall jack. Here are steps for installing a filter:
- Remove the existing phone cable from the wall jack.
- Plug in a single port filter into the wall jack
- Plug the phone cable into the filter port.
2. Dual-port filters
If you want to connect more than devices, then dual-port filters will suit you best. For instance, you can connect a modem and a phone to the same wall jack. Here are steps for installing a dual-port filter:
- Unplug the existing phone cable from the wall jack
- Plug a dual-port filter into the wall jack
- Plug the phone cable that is connected to your telephone or other devices into the phone port.
- On the port labeled DSL/HPNA, plug in the data cable from your modem or gateway.
3. Wall-mount filter
If your phone is mounted to the wall, you can use wall-mount filters. The filter is installed between the original wall plate and your wall-mounted phone. Follow these steps to install a wall-mount filter:
- The first thing is to remove the phone from the wall jack by lifting it off the wall pegs.
- Unplug the existing phone cable from the wall jack
- Plug the phone cord from the wall mount filter into the wall jack
- Install the filter on the wall on the wall plate pegs.
- Plug the phone cable from the telephone into the wall-mount filter
- Connect the phone to the mounting pegs on the filter front.
Is a DSL filter necessary?
The DSL filters manage each device’s incoming signals separately so that they don’t interfere with each other. With the traditional dial-up service, it wasn’t possible to connect another device. However, this allows you to mount different devices like a phone and fax machine at the same time without experiencing slow internet speeds. You can also use a phone to make or receive calls while connected to the internet.
The DSL filter separates the call and data signals sent through the phone line. The signal fewer than 4 kHz are considered voice signals, while signals above 4 kHz are for data; the filter ensures the signals don’t cross. Additionally, you can use this DSL filter on various devices, including:
- Security systems
- Telephone, fax machine, caller ID units
- Automatic water meters
- Satellite TV receivers, TiVos, cable boxes
Although DSL uses the same connection as traditional dial-up service, it is up to 50 times faster. It is available 24 hours a day. You will not keep contacting your ISP when you want to configure settings. With DSL filters’ help, you can be online even when you are talking on the phone. Lastly, you can also integrate the DSL to ATM, WAN, and Nx64 technology. It has made telecommunicating much easier.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if you don’t use a DSL filter?
DSL filters frequencies or signals depending on their range. It prevents disturbance that comes with a mix up of ADSL that mainly causes internet connection to lag or buffer. If you’re using a DSL line without a filter, your internet speed will buffer often, plus the voice calls won’t be crystal clear.
Do DSL filters affect Internet speed?
Yes, DSL filters increase the internet speed by keeping the connection as a single line. It chips off the voice line to avoid mix up. It also prevents buffering hence increasing your data transfer speed.
Do you need a DSL filter on every phone?
No. It’s not a must to have a DSL filter for some phones. Most devices can connect to the internet and receive calls simultaneously, even with no filter. However, if you experience hissing sound with unclear auditory aspects, consider purchasing a DSL filter.
How long does a DSL filter last?
Microfilters last between 3 to 6 months, after which they expire. You can’t use expired DSL microfilters. As such, you may need to replace them to continue operating.
How do I know if I need a DSL filter?
You can know when you need a DSL filter when:
- · Your computing or communication device have a DSL service
- You don’t have internet service, or the device you’re using is showing a u-verse
- The device you’re using has no dial tones.
A DSL liner does more than you can imagine. It creates a platform where you can converse effectively both over the net and through telephone service.
In case you are ready to splurge, any of our listed models can help you out. If you want a device that connects to both female and male connectors, the 2-Line filter has you covered. However, if you wish for a regular device to connect with your RJ11, any of the mentioned filters will work perfectly. 2 Wire DSL is the simplest, while the 2-Line Wall Mount is your ideal choice for wall devices as telephone and wall-mounted fax machines.